Sunday, March 17, 2013

Car Therapy


I was driving to work this week singing, "I'm walking on sunshine" louder than anyone has a right to sing and it dawned on me that I have spent some of my happiest moments in my car.  Most mornings, I drop the kids off, exhale and turn the radio to my favorite station.  My commute provides precious alone time with just me and whoever or whatever I want to invite in; usually I extend the invitation to music.  My mood that day determines which songs I play. With the kids off to school, I can now listen to that cool song with a few bad words (Welcome to JamRock) that I can't let the kids hear, yell at the talk show host who is "talking crazy" and cry when I hear a sad country song (Blake Shelton's Baby), Martina McBride's (I'm gonna love you through it) or  almost any song by Shirley Caesar (No Charge) because her voice reaches in and grabs your heart.   I sing loudly.  I play Micheal Jackson's Off the Wall and dance until the person in the lane next to me starts staring at me and then I smile and wave at them.  I relax.  I breathe.  I make quick fixes to my hair and makeup (yep, I am one of those people).   I give myself pep talks about life (Janet, you woke up so it is already a wonderful day, just claim your joy today).  I say the same commuter prayer in the car every day. 

Father, thank you for waking me up this morning and starting me on my way. 
Please keep the entire family safe and accident free.  
Fill our hearts with love, joy and happiness (If it has been a rough morning, I throw in peace).  
I say a special prayer for anyone who needs you today but does not know you or is unable to pray; please bring them comfort and meet the needs of their heart.  
Thanks for your love and your blessings.
In Jesus, name.  Amen.  

When you have 3 active boys "safety and free of accidents" is a huge deal.

I sometimes turn the music down and call someone that I love.  I reserve my "car calls" for the people who make me happy because who wants to speak with a downer when you are on the road. I plan my day, try to map out my life, think about dreams that I am still afraid to say out aloud, yell at people that I don't have the courage to yell at in person but mostly I do what I love - sing and car dance.  By the time I get to my destination, I have laughed, cried, sang or danced my worries away; well most of the time. 

If you don't think that you have time for yourself, consider the time that you spend in your car.  Focus on the road ahead, drown out all negative energy, ignore all the crazy drivers and just be your craziest, wildest, funniest, most authentic self.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Animated Social Gadget - Blogger And Wordpress Tips